I gotta say that I’m feeling pretty damn good about my progress this past week: a couple of FFOs, a couple of finishes, a WIP, and a couple of new starts.
First up, I finished “Red Tulips,” my needlework project. Yeah, it was about ten years in the making. And if left up to me, it would likely be another ten in the framing. But I think my sweet, wonderful mom might either have it done or do it herself as a Christmas gift for me. That would make me soooo happy!
(“Red Tulips” kit by Needle Treasures with #13 cotton canvas and wool tapestry yarn and cotton embroidery floss)
Next up, I finished my dear friend Karen’s afghan! Woohoo! I had assumed that it would take me another couple weeks to have a finish on this, but once I picked it up I just couldn’t stop until it was done. And it’s actually an FFO, because it turned out to not really need any blocking. She’s seen a picture of it, but I can’t wait to hand it over in person.
(Premier Yarns: Parfait, in azalea and teal/K hook)
Then, because I finished one crochet project, I deserved to start another, right? And what I started was another afghan. This time for us. A Halloween afghan! I’ve wanted to make a Halloween afghan for ages, but never made the time. And this afghan I’ve now started is not what I’ve long had pictured–varied width stripes, deeply zig-zagged in lime green and orange and purple and black. I’d *still* like to make one like that one day. But the throw I’ve started is just a straightforward tulip stitch all-over pattern. (Here’s a well-written tutorial for the tulip stitch.) I think the tulip stitch is quite lovely, but in this variegated yarn I’m using the stitch definition is pretty much entirely lost. I’m okay with that though because it’s giving this blanket a lovely texture, and I love the haphazard look it’s giving the colors.
(Herrschers Worsted 8 in Halloween Shimmer/H hook)
Next, I finished “Halloween Kitty” by Jan Fate of Angel Stitchin from the October 2017 issue of Just CrossStitch. (I talked about the changes I made to the pattern here.) I know how I’d like to fully finish it, but we’ll see if it works out.
(25 count story clouds lugana/DMC floss, not the called for colors/stitched 1 over 1)
October 1st marked the start of #darktobermanic. “Halloween Kitty” was actually my first (of 13) projects for #darktobermanic (an event on the Soulful Stitching Facebook group). It was also the start of the #turkeysal. So I started this turkey piece by Elizabeth Spurlock from Cross-Stitch & Needlework November 2012. (I will, however, be removing the pilgrim’s hat.) Not enough progress yet to even tell what it is, but I’ve worked on it a little each day so far.
(25 count vintage country mocha lugana/DMC and Classic Colorworks/stitched 1 over 1)
My 2nd #darktobermanic piece is “Double, double…” by The Prairie Schooler, which I worked on Oct. 2nd and 3rd (and will continue to work on today). Not a lot of progress (I already had the cauldron and the smoke tendrils stitched), but I do love working on this!
(32 count vintage smokey white linen/Weeks Dye Works and DMC/stitched 2 over 2)
And lastly, a final finish of “Scary Night” (by Nancy Boyarsky of Glory Bee from the 2014 Halloween issue of Just Cross Stitch). My very first flatfold, and I am positively smitten! Serious, serious love for how this turned out! While I did a few things differently, just based on what I had on hand, the credit for this finish goes to Vonna Pfeiffer for her awesome tutorial on YouTube.
(25 count story clouds lugana/DMC floss/stitched 1 over 1)
I would love for this week to be every bit as productively crafty, and perhaps it will be. But I’ll not hold my breath on that. Nonetheless, here is to crafty, creative week for one and all!